The Dude network monitor is a new application by MikroTik which can dramatically improve the way you manage your network enviroment. It will automatically scan all devices within specified subnets, draw and layout a map of your networks, monitor services of your devices and alert you in case some service has problems.
The Dude is a visual and easy to use network monitoring and management system designed to represent network structure in one or more crosslinked graphical diagrams, allowing you to draw (includes automatic network discovery tool) and monitor your network however complicated it might be. The Dude is capable of monitoring particular services run on the network hosts, and alerting you about any changes in their status. It can read statistics from the device monitored and show you graphs of the monitored values, allows you to test and connect to the devices easily, and provides some very basic RouterOS configuration tools.
It is written in two parts:
- Dude server is the actual program, which runs in background. It does not have any graphical interface, and may only be controlled by a Dude client application located either on local machine, or anywhere on the network. There is also a web interface to basic functionality, mostly designed as a quick and accessible review tool, not a full-fledged configuration application.
- Dude client may connect to the local or a remote Dude server, and is used as a graphical interface to it. That means that every action is really executed on the server machine and the client is just showing pictures. Thus, user window layouts are stored on the server and are not lost on disconnect.
Some of it’s features:
- Auto network discovery and layout
- Discovers any type or brand of device
- Device, Link monitoring, and notifications
- Includes SVG icons for devices, and supports custom icons and backgrounds
- Easy installation and usage
- Allows you to draw your own maps and add custom devices
- Supports SNMP, ICMP, DNS and TCP monitoring for devices that support it
- Individual Link usage monitoring and graphs
- Direct access to remote control tools for device management
- Supports remote Dude server and local client
- Runs in Linux Wine enviroment, MacOS Darwine, and Windows
- Publisher – Mikrotik
- File Size – 1,6 Mb
- Version – 2.0b9
- License – Freeware